MCTC confers three types of awards: associate degrees, diplomas and certificates. See MCTC Policies 3.03 and 3.05. In order to receive an award from MCTC, a student must:
- Complete the specific award requirements;
- Have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or better for coursework completed at MCTC;
- Complete the graduation application process; (see below)
- Earn a specified number of credits from MCTC; (see below) and
- Meet all financial obligations.
See MCTC Policy 3.09 for additional information on graduation requirements.
Within the limitations of MCTC Policy 3.02, a student may earn credits toward an award and graduation by:
- Successfully completing an MCTC course taken for credit;
- Successfully completing an approved directed study proposal;
- Transferring approved credits from another institution;
- Earning credit by examination;
- Completing some or all of the College Level Exam Program (CLEP) with sufficient scores;
- Receiving required scores in some or all of the International Baccalaureate Program; and/or
- Receiving required scores on Advanced Placement exams.
Students who are completing a degree, diploma or certificate must submit a Graduation Application during the last semester of their program by the deadline listed on the College Calendar. MCTC does not charge a fee to submit a Graduation Application.
Prior to submitting a Graduation Application, students should also review their degree audit through MCTC e-services and verify the following:
- Degree, major and catalog year are listed correctly;
- Transcripts from other colleges/universities have been evaluated; and
- All academic petitions have been recorded on the degree audit.
Students should meet with their Academic Advisor to review their degree audit prior to submitting a Graduation Application and discuss any possible issues that may prevent program completion.
Forms are available in the Counseling and Advising Office and the Student Services Center. Completed Graduation Applications should be submitted to the Student Services Center (T.2200) or may be faxed to 612-659-6245.
Applications received after the published deadline will be processed during the next term.
The display award and cover is not provided to the student at the graduation ceremony. Display awards are mailed to the student 6-8 weeks after the end of the term. Award covers are available for purchase at the MCTC Bookstore.
Credits Earned at MCTC
As required by MCTC Policy 3.09, in order to receive an award from MCTC, a student must earn a minimum number of credits from MCTC as follows:
- 20 credits for students seeking an Associate in Arts, Associate in Fine Arts (A.F.A.), Associate in Science (A.S.) or Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree;
- 12 credits for students seeking an A.A. degree, and transferring from another MnSCU institution or the University of Minnesota;
- One-third of the credits required for a diploma or certificate.
Students may graduate either under the requirements in effect at the time the degree, diploma, or certificate is awarded or under the requirements in effect in any of the four previous academic years.
Students whose initial enrollment at MCTC was prior to fall 2001 semester may graduate under the requirements in effect at the time of their initial enrollment at MCTC.
Students must meet the requirements in one college catalog and may not combine requirements from more than one catalog.