Public Speaking (CMST 1005)
This course focuses on introductory public speaking concepts and skills. You will study the process of formal speaking, with an emphasis on comfortable and competent delivery of speeches. You will learn how to reduce speaking anxiety, choose a topic, organize and outline your speeches, and critically analyze speech-making choices. You will demonstrate effective presentation techniques by delivering informative, persuasive and impromptu speeches.
1. Introduction to public speaking concepts
2. Speech preparation process; topic selection, outlining and organizing speeches
3. Delivery and presentation techniques
4. Informative and persuasive speaking
5. Strategic and skillful use of language
6. Effective use of presentation aids and presentation technology
1. Demonstrate the basic principles for effective public speaking and apply strategies to deliver confident and competent speeches
2. Understand the process of preparing and organizing effective speeches employing research, critical thinking and analytical skills
3. Apply strategies for selecting topics and creating speeches that are well suited to the occasion and audience and that foster ethical communication
4. Understand and apply tools and techniques for creating and using effective presentation aids
Placement score into READ 0200 or placement score into ESOL 0052 or completion of READ 0100 or ESOL 0042 with faculty recommendation into ESOL 0052.