Interpersonal Communication (CMST 1010)
This course focuses on the examination and acquisition of positive and effective interpersonal and intrapersonal communication skills. You will study interpersonal communication theories and learn how applying these theories can enhance your ability to effectively communicate with others. You will examine your self-concept, relationships with others, perceptions, emotions, nonverbal communication, listening ability, conflict-management skills, and other aspects of interpersonal communication.
1. Principles and theories of interpersonal communication
2. Intrapersonal communication; self-esteem, self-concept, identity
3. Cultural and perceptual influences on interpersonal communication
4. Language, verbal and nonverbal communication
5. Dynamics of interpersonal relationships and communication climates
6. Managing interpersonal conflict and power
1. Understand interpersonal communication processes and the role of communication in the development and maintenance of relationships
2. Understand interpersonal communication theories and the role of theories in expanding one’s communication repertoire
3. Evaluate important factors and variables in the sending and receiving of messages, and interpretation of information
4. Understand the influence of communication variables on communication outcomes
Placement score into READ 0200 or placement score into ESOL 0052 or completion of READ 0100 or ESOL 0042 with faculty recommendation into ESOL 0052.