Small Group Communication (CMST 2011)
This course examines the dynamics and processes of group interactions and effective problem-solving in groups. You will gain knowledge of the nature of groups, how and why groups form and function, and how norms and roles evolve within groups. You will learn about group processes, problem-solving procedures and the role of communication in creating positive group outcomes. You will learn how to enhance your communication skills to be an effective group member and leader through group work assignments and group presentations.
1. Core components of group processes, functions and types of groups
2. Leadership skills, power dynamics and group roles and responsibilities
3. Attaining and maintaining group cohesion
4. Planning, organizing and implementing positive group outcomes
5. Problem solving and conflict management
6. Formal and informal group presentations
1. Understand group work processes and effective practices for achieving positive group outcomes
2. Understand how communication behaviors effect the ability of groups to function, the satisfaction of group members and the success of group presentations
3. Demonstrate competent communication skills for effective team membership, leadership, decision making and conflict management
4. Apply critical and creative thinking to effective planning, organizing and presenting in groups
Placement score into READ 0200 or placement score into ESOL 0052 or completion of READ 0100 or ESOL 0042 with faculty recommendation into ESOL 0052.