Introductory Statistics (MATH 1140)
Rather than statistical calculations, this course emphasizes the interpretation and evaluation of surveys, experiments, probabilities, graphic/tabular displays, data summaries, or other statistical reports encountered in daily life. Topics include: data collection, numerical and graphic summaries, basic ideas of probability, the normal distribution, estimation, hypothesis testing, correlation and regression, and index numbers.
1. Descriptive statistics
2. Inferential statistics through hypothesis testing for means and proportions
3. Graphical displays for different data types
4. Basic probability including expected value
1. Create a graphical display for a given data set
2. Calculate descriptive statistics based on data types
3. Solve basic probability problems
4. Find confidence intervals for means or proportions
5. Apply the methods of hypothesis testing
6. Critically evaluate a statistical study
Placement score into MATH 1140 or completion of MATH 0075 or MATH 0080 or MATH 0088.