American History from 1865: Empire and Resistance (HIST 1110)
American History 2 surveys the history of America from the 19th to the 20th century, with emphasis on the Civil War, social and cultural history of the 19th and 20th centuries, the Great Depression of the 1930s, race relations, and the war in Vietnam.
1. What is History?
2. Reconstruction and the War betwen Labor and Capital
3. Jim Crow, Racism and the Spanish-American War
4. Progressive Reforms? World War I and Women's Changing Roles
5. Depression, World War II and the Cold War
6. 1960s Freedom Movements, Vietnam War and the Conservative Backlash
1. Analyze primary and secondary sources in proper historical context
2. Identify historical interpretations through critical reading
3. Construct historical arguments (written and oral) using evidence
4. Understand and explain the major themes, events and issues of American History 1865 to present
5. Recognize the role that race, class, gender and sexuality play in shaping American History
6. Apply knowledge of American History 2 to better understand current issues that affect you, your family, your community and your world
Placement score into READ 0200 or placement score into ESOL 0052 or completion of READ 0100 or ESOL 0042 with faculty recommendation into ESOL 0052.