The Community Health Worker Role: Advocacy and Outreach (CMHW 1001)
This course focuses on the role of the community health worker's personal safety, self-care, personal wellness, and the promotion of health and/or disease prevention of clients. Must be taken A-F.
1. Role of Community Health Worker (CHW) in Minnesota
2. Self-care practices for the caregiver
3. Personal work skills while working within the community
4. Outreach strategies
5. Advocacy for clients
6. CHW role of liaison between the health care system & clients
1. Define the roles and limits of the role of a Community Health Worker in Minnesota
2. Research and practice a variety of self care and personal wellness strategies
3. Develop personal skills including time management, asking for help, personal safety and emergency preparedness
4. Identify strategies for outreach within the CHW role and scope of practice
5. Identify strategies as a liaison between provider and client and the client and agencies within the CHW role and scope of practice
6. Identify Advocacy strategies for individual and community needs by speaking up within the CHW role and scope of practice
Placement score into READ 0200 or ESOL 0052 or completion of READ 0100 or ESOL 0042 with faculty recommendation into ESOL 0052.