The Community Health Worker: Legal and Ethical Responsibilities (CMHW 1035)
This course focuses on the legal and ethical dimensions of the community health worker's role. You will study the boundaries of the community health worker position, agency policies, confidentiality, liability, mandatory reporting, and cultural issues that can influence legal and ethical responsibilities.
1. Agency Policies
2. Community Health Worker Boundaries
4. Liability Issues including HIPAA and Disclosure with cultural implications
5. Mandatory Reporting
6. Ethical Behavior of the Community Health Worker
1. Identify key agency policies and how they affect the Community Health Worker Role
2. Identify appropriate boundaries for the Community Health Worker role
3. Identify importance and strategies for protecting Client confidentiality
4. Explain HIPAA regulations and their connections to Liability and Disclosure including a discussion of the cultural implications
5. Recognize the implications of mandatory reporting and the process to be followed in mandatory situations
6. Describe how ethics influence the care of clients
Placement score into READ 0200 or ESOL 0052 or completion of READ 0100 or ESOL 0042 with faculty recommendation into ESOL 0052 and ESOL 0033 or equivalent.