Reading 5 (ESOL 0052)
This course develops your ability to comprehend and discuss topics related to a variety of academic reading materials. You will learn to identify main and supporting details in nonfiction, increase your reading rate and comprehension, analyze features of fiction, and apply critical thinking skills. In addition, you will build your academic vocabulary using a variety of reading strategies. Must be taken Pass/No Credit.
1. Reading Strategies & Skills
2. Vocabulary Skills
4. Text Types
5. Academic Skills & US Colleges
6. Resource Materials
1. Use, assess, and adjust reading strategies to enhance comprehension
2. Distinguish main and supporting ideas in a variety of text types
3. Summarize and paraphrase
4. Develop and use individualized strategies for expanding vocabulary
5. Apply critical thinking skills to a variety of text types
6. Compare and synthesize information from different written sources
Placement score into ESOL 0052 or completion of ESOL 0042.
Completion of ESOL 0043