Microcomputer System Maintenance (ITEC 1310)
This course covers the organization, operation, troubleshooting, and basic maintenance of mobile and desktop PC hardware and software. You will learn about hardware components, including microprocessors, RAM, BIOS, motherboards, power supplies, hard drive storage, and common input/output devices. You will also learn about software aspects of PC maintenance, including installing and upgrading Microsoft Windows operating systems, maintaining file systems, user account management, working with the command-line interface, and how to diagnose and fix common software problems. You will do regular hands-on lab work with both PC hardware and software in this class, including learning how to assemble and configure a working PC from scratch. Must be taken A-F.
1. Installation, troubleshooting, and maintenance of common hardware components used in modern business and personal computers, mobile devices and printers
2. Installation, troubleshooting, and maintenance of operating systems used in personal and business environments
3. Use of diagnostic, maintenance, and optimization operating system tools
4. Network equipment installation and maintenance; network diagnostic tools
5. Skills required for an employee providing helpdesk services
6. Preparation for relevant industry certifications
1. Understand the role and interaction of hardware components; use this knowledge to install, maintain and troubleshoot hardware including desktop computers, mobile devices and printers
2. Identify appropriate operating systems for a client, install operating systems; troubleshoot installation issues
3. Analyze systems, identify and use appropriate diagnostic, maintenance, repair, and optimization operating system tools
4. Install and maintain network equipment and cabling; identify and troubleshoot network problems; identify and use appropriate network diagnostic tools to fix problems
5. Develop and practice professional helpdesk skills
6. Practice study skills and test-taking skills for relevant industry certifications
ITEC 1100, ITEC 1110, ITEC 1250.