Intercultural Communication (CMST 2012)
This course examines the interconnections between communication and culture and identifies ways to develop effective communication strategies in multicultural contexts. You will assess the impact of culture on people's worldviews, perceptions, and behaviors, and learn how to identify difficulties and eliminate barriers when communicating across cultures. You will read about, discuss, and explore the impact of culture on communication processes, and learn strategies for effective communication across cultures.
1. Principles, theories and definitions of intercultural communication, culture and cultural identity
2. Cultural patterns and cross cultural communication comparisons
3. Diversity in behaviors, perceptions and ways of thinking
4. Cultural and communication biases; stereotyping, power dynamics and ethnocentrism
5. Enculturation, cultural adaptation and culture shock
6. Strategies for effective verbal and nonverbal intercultural communication
1. Assess the influence of culture on perceptions, communication behaviors, and intercultural interactions
2. Understand variations in communication patterns and behaviors across cultures and factors that influence intercultural communication both positively and negatively
3. Demonstrate knowledge of the consequences of ethnocentrism, stereotyping and racism on intercultural relationships
4. Demonstrate communication skills and choices that foster intercultural competence and maintain effective intercultural relationships
Placement score into READ 0200 or placement score into ESOL 0052 or completion of READ 0100 or ESOL 0042 with faculty recommendation into ESOL 0052.