Reading 4 (ESOL 0042)
This course develops your ability to understand a variety of written materials. You will learn to identify main ideas and supporting details in nonfiction, increase your reading rate and comprehension, and analyze features of fiction. In addition, you will increase your vocabulary using a variety of strategies. Must be taken Pass/No Credit.
1. Reading Skills and Strategies
2. Non-fiction Articles, Textbook Chapters, Essays, etc.
3. Prose Ficiton (Short Stories, Novels, Novellas, etc.)
4. Graphically Represented Information (Graphs, Charts, Tables, Maps, etc.)
5. Vocabulary Skills and Strategies
6. Academic Study, Test-Taking, and Note-Taking Skills and Strategies
1. Apply academic reading skills to a variety of reading genres
2. Understand and explain academic non-fiction articles, textbook chapters, essays, etc.
3. Understand and explain prose fiction
4. Comprehend and discuss graphically represented material
5. Use various vocabulary skills and strategies to understand and remember new words
6. Employ study, test-taking, and study skills and strategies in academic situations
Placement score into ESOL 0042 or completion of ESOL 0035.