Popular Culture in 20th-Century America (AMST 1152)
This class begins by attempting to define the term "popular culture." You then will explore music, film literature, media, advertising and various cultural icons in American history. From this exploration, you will gain an understanding of the influence of popular culture in the 20th century. You will also explore the various forms of popular culture that have emerged in diverse ethnic, racial and sexual groups.
1. Methods of transmitting popular culture such as film, radio, recordings and the internet
2. Icons and genres of American popular culture
3. The popular cultures of diverse groups such as teenagers, Latinos and African-Americans
4. Methods of studying popular culture such as anthropological, sociological and historical
5. American myths, beliefs and values such as The American Dream and American Exceptionalism
1. Identify, describe, analyze and interpret institutions, processes and artifacts of American popular culture
2. Respond critically to scholarly discourse about American popular culture
3. Present information about a particular topic in American popular culture in a form such as an essay or group presentation
4. Apply course content to analysis of the role of popular culture in contemporary American life
Placement into READ 0200 or ESOL 0052 or completion of READ 0100 or ESOL 0042 and faculty recommendation into ESOL 0052.