Communication in Healthcare (HCCC 1020)
This module emphasizes the importance of effective communication between and among healthcare workers and their clients. Included are verbal and nonverbal communication, listening skills, interpersonal communication, team communication, documentation and reporting, and the use of electronic communication devices in healthcare facilities. Focus is on the development of effective communication skills to support quality client care. Must be taken Pass/Fail.
1. Importance of listening skills in verbal and non-verbal communication
2. Use of electronic communication devices including documenting and reporting iin healthcare facilities
3. Interpersonal communication
4. Team communication versus interpersonal communication
1. Describe components of effective verbal and non-verbal communication
2. Explain how active listening skills can improve communication
3. Discuss the use of a variety of communication techniques to achieve effective interpersonal and team communication
4. Describe communication skills that are important when managing conflict
5. Explain components of accurate, appropriate communication to include common medical abbreviations
6. Apply a problem solving process in healthcare situations and describe how effective communication will occur between clients, individuals and team members
Placement score into READ 0200 or placement score into ESOL 0052 or completion of READ 0100 or ESOL 0042 with faculty recommendation into ESOL 0052.