Dosage Calculation (HCCC 1200)
This course focuses on the development of the skills necessary to accurately calculate medical dosages for clients in healthcare settings. You will have an opportunity to choose dimensional analysis or ratio and proportion as a means of calculating metric and household medication orders. The course will also introduce special topics of pediatric dosages, syringe markings and powdered medications. You will explore calculations through three-dimensional classroom activities, as well as traditional paper-and-pencil problem-solving. Must be taken Pass/Fail.
1. Metric System
2. Safe medication administration including rights of medication administration and use of military time
3. Reading labels and syringe measurements for oral and parenteral medications
4. Reconstitution of powder medications
5. Dosage calculations
6. IV therapy - flow rate calculation, completion times and medication titration
1. Calculate a variety of dosage preparations using dimensional analysis
2. Convert doses using metric and household systems
3. Calculate and measure medication infusion flow rates using the calibrations on parenteral equipment
4. Identify common medication administration errors
5. Calculate time conversion
6. Interpret medication labels
Placement score into MATH 0060.