The Effective Learner (STSK 1150)
In this course, you will learn the principles of learning and critical thinking, problem-solving, time management, styles of learning and teaching, note taking, listening, textbook reading, researching and testing. You will develop strategies and techniques for analyzing your own learning/thinking skills and processes.
1. Learning techniques (for textbooks and readings, lectures, web-based material)
2. Process and principles of memory
3. Management of time and self to improve academic outcomes
4. Creation and use of study tools (visual notes, study groups, manipulative objects for learning)
5. Strategies and techniques for assuming responsibility for academic progress
6. Test preparation techniques and strategies
1. Select and apply active learning strategies appropriate for face-to-face and online college courses
2. Engage effectively in independent learning to improve academic progress
3. Create and use study tools appropriate for academic success in a variety of college courses
4. Demonstrate time and self-management techniques
5. Demonstrate critical thinking, self-reflection, and problem solving for effective academic progress
Placement score into READ 0200 or ESOL 0052 or completion of READ 0100 or ESOL 0042 or instructor approval.