Academic Listening and Speaking 4 (ESOL 0043)
This course provides the knowledge and practice necessary to further improve your listening, speaking and pronunciation skills in English in order to help you be more successful in future academic courses. You will work on these skills through activities such as listening to lectures, tapes, and videos, taking notes in English, doing dictations, participating in discussions, doing interviews, giving presentations and doing exercises in the language lab. Must be taken Pass/No Credit.
1. Determine relevant main ideas and supporting details from a variety of audio sources
2. Prepare for and participate in academic discussions
3. Plan, prepare, and deliver classroom presentations
4. Develop and use individualized strategies for expanding academic and idiomatic vocabulary
5. Employ a variety of communication strategies appropriate to oral/aural context
6. Develop awareness of and apply key components of standard American English pronunciation
Placement score into ESOL 0043 or completion of ESOL 0035.