English Pronunciation for Professionals (ESOL 1000)
This course for advanced students will focus on the sounds and rhythm of American English. Classroom and computer-based activities will show you how to speak more clearly. You will also work intensively on voice quality and American English tones and speed to improve your overall clarity for the workplace. This course requires two hours of practice per week in the language lab.
1. Identify personal speaking weaknesses; develop improvement plan
2. Learn and recognize different vowel and consonant sounds; practice those sounds
3. Practice grammar, fluency and prosodics through on-line and face-to-face activities
4. Develop sufficient mastery of workplace communication protocals
5. Improve presentation skills
1. Develop awareness of speaking apparatus and muscle exercises
2. Identify individual target areas and set goals to improve pronunciation
3. Plan, prepare, and present classroom presentations
4. Use International Phonetic Alphabet to learn differences in vowel and consonant sounds
5. Demonstrate awareness of differences between written and spoken English
Placement score into ESOL 0043 or completion of ESOL 0033.