Native Americans in Cinema and Popular Culture (AMIS 1300)
This course is a survey of the representation of Native peoples in cinema, television and popular culture. You will examine the presentation of Native peoples in classic and popular films. You will critique the accuracy of cultural depiction, the evolution of past and present stereotypes, and discuss trends in current media.
1. Representation of Native peoples in cinema, television, popular culture, and other media
2. History of Native American people related to cinema
3. Storytelling related to the creation of cinematic and media projects
4. Developing stories and other media projects for understanding of the media production process
1. Gain an appreciation for Native American cinema
2. Understand Native American history and culture through media
3. Comparing their own history and culture to Native American media
4. Develop their own media story related to the media production process
Placement score into READ 0100 or completion of ESOL 0042.