Biology 1 (BIOL 2200)
This course examines the major concepts of biology and is designed for students majoring in Biology, Nursing, and other science related fields. You will gain an understanding of the scientific method, basic biochemistry, cell biology, bioenergetics, reproduction, development, genetics, biotechnology and evolution. This course includes two hours of required lab per week, which must be taken on campus.
1. Scientific method and process of science
2. Basic chemistry, organic chemistry and biological molecules
3. Cellular structure and function, membrane transport, metabolism and division
4. Genetics, DNA and protein sysnthesis
1. Relate principles of chemistry to life and living organisms
2. Understand how cells are organized and function
3. Recognize how the principles of heredity and the environment affect individual organisms
4. Explain the role of evolution in populations
5. Formulate and test hypotheses through hands on laboratory experimentation
CHEM 1020 or CHEM 1151 or High School Chemistry with a grade of "C" (2.0) or higher. It is highly recommended that students have a placement into READ 1300 or completion of READ 0200 or ESOL 0052.