American Literature: 1865-Present (ENLT 2232)
This course examines literature of the United States from after the Civil War through the present. You will read and consider fiction, poetry, and prose that reflect the diverse social, cultural, and literary experiences of the inhabitants of the United States.
1. Late 19th Century Literature
2. Early-to-Mid Twentieth Century American Literature
3. Postwar Literature
4. Contemporary Literature
1. Interpret the literature of this period to develop an understanding of the cultures and peoples of the United States
2. Critically examine their personal reactions to American literature from this period
3. Make contemporary connections with the social, political, and artistic issues from this period
4. Use some of the literary forms and conventions from this era to analyze this literature
ENGL 1110 or ENGA 1110.