STATWAY Statistics 1 (MATH 0990)
This is the first semester of a two-semester course for non-STEM students. You will learn the concepts and methods of statistics with an emphasis on data analysis. Over the two semesters, you will learn methods for collecting data, graphical and numerical descriptive statistics, correlation, simple linear regression, basic concepts of probability, confidence intervals and hypothesis tests for means and proportions, and chi-square tests. The developmental mathematics concepts that serve as a foundation for statistical analysis are integrated into the course. Upon successful completion of both MATH 0990
and MATH 1090
, you will fulfill MnTC Goal Area 4.
1. Statistical studies and overview of data analysis
2. Summarizing data graphically and numerically
3. Reasoning about bivariate data
4. Modeling nonlinear relationships
5. Reasoning about bivariate categorical data
6. Formalizing probability and probability distributions
1. Describe data graphically and numerically
2. Calculate correlation coefficients and regression equations
3. Calculate probabilities
4. Determine normal curve probabilities
Placement score into MATH 0070.