Heritage/Intensive Spanish 1 (SPAN 1300)
This course is for heritage speakers and those who have had previous exposure to the language, but who desire more formal instruction at an accelerated pace. You will build upon the language skills you already possess, focusing on the development of academic Spanish through reading and writing, as well as instruction in grammar and spelling. You will also examine issues of Hispanic diversity in the US.
1. Culture: General study of the cultural nuances of each Spanish speaking country
2. Speaking: current events and history
3. Reading and Listening: use authentic reading material
4. Grammar: including morphology, semantics and syntax
1. Learn the standard orthographic rules as well as the semantic and morphological forms
2. Be capable of writing texts in formal and informal Spanish
3. Know the cultural and geographical differences of the Spanish language
4. Communicate in the Spanish language according to the communicative situation required
5. Read and discuss using authentic material from different disciplines
Placement score into READ 0200 or placement score into ESOL 0052 or completion of READ 0100 or ESOL 0042 with faculty recommendation into ESOL 0052.