The Female Divine (WGSS 2200)
This course presents the ancient roots of our current cultural views of modern women. Drawing upon goddess traditions from around the world, as well as mythology, literature, and art, you will explore archetypal feminine symbolism in the context of matriarchal and patriarchal value systems. You will explore the symbolic and cultural significance of female divinity and the impact of its loss on all aspects of society, and examine women's roles in contemporary religion and spirituality.
1. Overview of Feminist Theology and Spirituality
2. The Role of The Goddess in mythologies, religions, and psychology
3. Archetypal symbolism of the feminine as a tool of self- understanding
4. Matriarchal/patriarchal consciousness and values
5. Loss of the female divine and the impact of patriarchal religions and cultures
6. Impact of fundamentalism on women in religious and cultural contexts
1. Identify major goddesses in various cultures
2. Demonstrate an understanding of conflicting ideologies of matriarchy and patriarchy
3. Analyze the cultural influence of archetypal symbolism of the feminine
4. Analyze how cultural values are shaped by the dominance of the masculine or feminine and how these values contribute to the social construction of gender
5. Understand the significance of reinterpreting and reclaiming symbolism in order to empower women
6. Analyze the role and impact of women in contemporary religious/spiritual practice
Placement score into READ 0200 or ESOL 0052 or completion of READ 0100 or ESOL 0042.