Globalization and Culture Change (ANTH 2105)
This course explores ways in which globalization has changed both traditional cultures and western societies. You will learn about capitalism, trade, the environment, human rights, labor, poverty, hunger, and related issues. You will also examine the people and organizations attempting to resist corporate power, including voices from traditional cultures of the world.
1. Capitalism and industrialism
2. Imperialism, colonialism, and post-colonial change
3. The impact of globalization on culture (e.g., food, health, environment)
4. Rebellion and resistance movements
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the key theories and terminology in the course
2. Propose and evaluate alternative solutions to global problems
3. Critically explain ways in which the field of anthropology contributes to an understanding of global problems
4. Analyze ways in which their own culture and their lifestyles are impacting, and impacted by, globalization
Placement score into READ 1300 or completion of READ 0200 or ESOL 0052.