Writing and Grammar 5 (ESOL 0051)
This course focuses on providing advanced writing students whose native language is not English with the ability to understand and use aspects of grammar, style and organization that cause unique problems for non-native English speakers. You will learn a variety of writing skills necessary to succeed in entry-level college writing courses. This course must be taken Pass/No Credit.
1. The multi-step writing process
2. The culture, organization, and genre of written text
3. Advanced English grammar and MLA citation methods
4. The use of technology in the writing process
1. Organize, write, and revise 3-4 page typed essays using different genres (i.e. narrative, analytical, argumentative)
2. Demonstrate sufficient mastery of advanced English grammar and mechanics
3. Employ standard technical tools of academic writing
4. Begin mastery of MLA citation methods
5. Identify personal writing weaknesses; develop improvement plan
6. Recognize the connections between audience, purpose and context
Placement score into ESOL 0051 or completion of ESOL 0041 and/or teacher recommendation into ESOL 0051.
Completion of ESOL 0043 or "exempt in listening and speaking" on placement exam.