Introduction to Global Studies (GLOS 1500)
This is an interdisciplinary course designed to introduce you to the basic concepts of global studies. You will examine the dynamics of changes in global systems, both in the past and at present, from natural and social perspectives-what causes global changes, what are the real and possible effects of these changes, and how do we deal with changes in both local and global settings. The main objective of the course is to provide you with a foundation from which to pursue further studies of related topics. You will also develop communication, critical-thinking and problem-solving skills particular to the subject of global studies.
1. Introduction to the Seven Revolutions Material
2. Exploration of the Seven global challenges
3. Development of strategic leadership through global citizenship
1. Identify issues and impacts for key global challenges, drawing from various disciplines
2. Explain the relationships between and among global challenges
3. Employ credible resources in learning about key global challenges (information literacy)
4. Analyze political, economic, social, and/or environmental impacts of key global challenges
5. Evaluate various approaches and/or solutions to key global challenges
6. Create a solution towards a more preferable future for issues related to one or more key global challenges
Placement score into READ 1300 or completion of READ 0200 or ESOL 0052.