Community Health Worker's Role in Teaching and Capacity-Building (CMHW 1025)
This course focuses on the community health worker's role in teaching and increasing capacity of the community and of the client. Emphasis is on establishing healthy lifestyles and clients developing agreements to take responsibility for achieving their health goals. You will learn and practice methods for planning, developing and implementing plans with clients to promote wellness.
1. Healthy Behaviors Data Collection
2. Healthy Behaviors Plan
3. Contracting agreements and Setting Goals
4. Teaching Strategies and Learning Domains
5. Motivation and Behavior Change Concepts
6. Health Promotion Activities
1. Collect client data specific to health behaviors and psychosocial issues
2. Provide clients with appropriate information based on individual prioritized needs and desires
3. Construct a contract with client’s that uses goals to promote healthy behaviors
4. Utilize a variety of teaching techniques during a client education encounter
5. Work effectively with clients to foster healthy behavioral changes by using the Stages of Change Model
6. Increase the capacity of the community through health promotion and preventive health activities
Placement score into READ 0200 or ESOL 0052 or completion of READ 0100 or ESOL 0042 with faculty recommendation into ESOL 0052 and ESOL 0033 or equivalent.