Fundamentals of Communications and Interviewing Skills (HSER 1004)
This course introduces a microskills model for beginning-level counseling skills, which emphasizes joining, challenging, and problem-management stages in addition to responding to interpersonal communication style differences. You will practice skills in small groups in class supervised by the instructor and in videotaped role-plays, which are critiqued in class by the instructor and peer evaluator groups. By the end of the course, you will use the skills effectively to conduct basic counseling interviews. Lab time required outside of class. Must be taken for a letter grade of A - F.
1. Stages: Joining, Challenging, Contracting
2. Personality Styles for client and counselor
3. Process for Change
4. Stage Skill demonstraton
5. Self Esteem Exploration
1. Define stages and skills of interview process
2. Competently demonstrate all stage skills in live interview
3. Assess client's personality and communication styles
4. Assess client's stages of change
HSER 1001 and HSER 1002 or instructor approval.