Family Violence (SOCI 2115)
What factors contribute to family violence? Can they be identified and changed so that future violence can be prevented? This course surveys the major patterns of child abuse, violence in relationships, elder abuse and other forms of family crisis.
1. Sociology and the dynamics of family violence
2. Overview of all major forms of violence (e.g. intimate partner violence and child abuse)
3. Identify and recognize family violence
4. Impact of family violence
5. Respond to family violence and work with victims of trauma
1. Understand the causes, contributing factors and the dynamics of family violence
2. Define and describe the various types of family violence
3. Identify and recognize family violence as well as evaluate risk factors
4. Understand the impact of family violence on individuals, family and the community
5. Effectively respond to family violence and work with victims of trauma
HSER 1001 or SOCI 1105 or PSYC 2260 or instructor approval.