Introduction to Criminal Justice (LAWE 2155)
This course is intended to give an overview of the American criminal justice system. You will learn about the roles and responsibilities of the police, courts, corrections institutions and the democratic foundations upon which the system is based. In addition, you will learn more about career options in the areas of criminal justice.
1. Criminal justice systems
2. Sociological theory and methods applied to Criminal Justice systems
3. Policing in a modern society
4. Criminal court systems
5. The sociology of prisons and confinement
1. Explain the core components of the criminal justice system (e.g. law enforcement, judicial and corrections)
2. Explore criminal justice careers and how the criminal justice system is changing
3. Explore the history and relationships of the core components of the criminal justice system currently and in the future
4. Identify the constitutional foundations for the criminal justice system
5. Explain the process of how laws are created, enforced, interpreted, and revised
Placement score into READ 0200 or placement score into ESOL 0052 or completion of READ 0100 or ESOL 0042.