Critical Reading of Academic Texts (READ 1300)
This course focuses on applying college-level reading skills to the specialized context of reading occupational, academic and technical textbooks and supplementary materials. You will learn self-assessment techniques to monitor your comprehension, analyze the text structure of various disciplines and programs, learn strategies for reading different kinds of text, and apply various strategies for developing and expanding your vocabulary. Must be taken A-F.
1. Critical reading and thinking strategies
2. Summarize, analyze, and synthesize texts from multiple sources including e-texts and visual texts
3. Evaluate and select information sources across academic disciplines
4. Academic vocabulary development
1. Select and utilize elements of active and critical reading for use in academic and professional settings
2. Summarize, analyze, synthesize, and evaluate ideas presented in multiple mediums
3. Effectively participate in a community of academic learners in an online environment
4. Develop and expand vocabulary needed in college courses
Placement score into READ 1300 or completion of READ 0200 or ESOL 0052 and ESOL 0043 or exemption and placement score into ENGL 1110 or completion of ENGL 0900 or ESOL 0051.