Integrated Skills High-Intermediate 1 (ESOL 0034)
This high-intermediate integrated skills language class provides you with instruction, practice and knowledge of academic English and American cultures. You will learn about and use basic grammar structures in reading, writing and oral language; read fiction/nonfiction for main ideas and supporting details; develop academic vocabulary; use the writing process, editing and revision to create effective paragraphs and shorter essays; make oral presentations; participate in group work; self-monitor your speech for accuracy; and develop your academic note-taking skills.
1. The Academic Writing Process
2. English Vocabulary and Grammar
3. Academic Non-Fiction and Fiction Readings
4. Academic Study Skills
5. Academic Speaking Skills
6. Academic Listening Skills
1. Follow the writing process and produce short five paragraph essays
2. Use intermediate English grammar and vocabulary in academic situations
3. Understand intermediate level and non-fiction readings
4. Apply academic study and test taking skills
5. Improve English pronunciation and speaking abilities in academic situations
6. Comprehend and participate in academic lectures and discussions
Placement score into ESOL 0032.