Reading 2 (READ 0200)
This course covers the skills needed for success in sophisticated technical programs or in some liberal arts courses. You will learn strategies for maintaining concentration on long textbook assignments and improving comprehension when reading challenging texts and manuals that contain complex information and unfamiliar vocabulary. You will also learn how to remember what you've read and to demonstrate knowledge adequately on assignments, projects and tests. Must be taken Pass/No Credit.
1. Reading comprehension strategies
2. Strategies for learning from print and online materials
3. Academic vocabulary development
4. Critical thinking and evaluating ideas
1. Utilize organizational structures in text for effective note taking and learning
2. Apply appropriate strategies for independent reading, studying, and test-taking
3. Cite and organize central ideas and important information within academic texts
4. Expand vocabulary common across academic disciplines
5. Articulate connections between written or online texts, prior knowledge and experience
Placement score into READ 0200 or completion of READ 0100 or ESOL 0042 with faculty recommendation into READ 0200.
ESOL 0043 or exemption.