The Music of Asia (MUSC 1050)
This course serves as an overview of the musical styles, genres and performers of North, East, South and Southeast Asia. Through lecture, demonstrations, audio and video presentations, class discussions and performance, you will gain an understanding of the ways in which culture and music interact and are impacted.
1. Musical Elements – the vocabulary of music
2. Perceptive listening: developing active and critical listening skills
3. Historical styles periods in the evolution of the styles and genres representative of cultures and countries found on the countries of North East, South and Southeast Asia
4. Socio-political events that shape and are shaped by the evolution of musical genres and styles
1. Describe musical events using appropriate terminology
2. Connect the music they experience in this course with parallel developments in art, science, and political and social movements
3. Connect the music and the cultures they experience in this course with the music and cultures of the United States
4. Differentiate music of different styles and genres, in terms of performance practices, context, musical elements, innovations, technological advances, and the influences of culture and history
5. Communicate their perceptions and responses to the music and its context with others using appropriate terminology
Placement score into READ 1300 or completion of READ 0200 or ESOL 0052.