Jazz Ensemble (MUSC 1340)
This ensemble prepares and performs music from contemporary and jazz-rock styles. You will perform publicly at least once per semester, using arrangements that are designed primarily for small jazz combos rather than Big Band. You will perform publicly at least once per semester. This group rehearses a minimum of two times per week or a minimum of 100 minutes per week.
1. Critical istening skills for ensemble playing (tuning, volume, articulation)
2. Performance techniques appropriate for specific genres of Jazz
3. Improvisational techniques
4. Individual Musicanship
1. Demonstrate awareness of the scope and variety of works within the context of repertoire composed and arranged for Jazz combos and bands
2. Demonstrate understanding of Jazz compositions and arrangements as expressions of individual and human values within a variety of historical and social contexts
3. Respond critically to works written and arranged for Jazz combos and bands
4. Engage in the creative process by participating in Jazz ensemble and performing works composed for Jazz combos and bands with stylistic integrity
5. Articulate an informed personal reaction to works composed and arranged for Jazz ensembles and bands
Students must be able to read music at an intermediate level or better and provide their own instrument, with the exception of piano. While it is not mandatory, an applied lesson on the student's instrument is highly recommended.