Introduction to Music Therapy (MUSC 1070)
This course provides an introduction to the history of music therapy and the application of music in the therapeutic treatment of a variety of populations. If you are interested in a career in music therapy, this course is designed to help you decide if it is right for you. You will explore music therapy in a variety of ways including taking field trips and practicing beginning skills on musical instruments typical to music therapy. A-F.
1. The history and evolution of music therapy as a profession.
2. The functions of music and the rationale for using music in/as therapy.
3. Existing music therapy theories and approaches, terms, methods and techniques.
4. Professional ethics, competencies, standards of practice and other aspects of the practice of music therapy.
5. The therapeutic treatment process, including working with treatment teams.
6. Music therapy resources.
1. Describe the history and evolution of music therapy as a profession.
2. Identify the functions, scope and variety of music and the rationale for using music in/as therapy.
3. Describe existing music therapy theories and approaches.
4. Describe professional ethics, competencies, standards of practice and other aspects of the practice of music therapy.
5. Explain how music therapy has been or may be applied in a variety of contexts, settings and cultures.
6. Play a variety of instruments typically used for music therapy.
Placement score into READ 0200 or placement score into ESOL 0052 or completion of READ 0100 or ESOL 0042.