History of Photography (CIST 1106)
This course explores developments in the technology, aesthetics and cultural significance of photography from its origins to the present. You will examine the works of major photographers, and the relationships of those works to history, art and commerce. Must be taken A-F.
1. The Early Years: Technology Vision, Users 5th Century -1925
2. Realization of the Potential 1875-1925
3. A Plenitude of Portraits 1839-1890
4. Documentation: Landscape, Architecture, Objects and Events
5. Documentation and Photojournalism: The Social and Science
6. Photography as Art and Art Photography
1. A clear understanding of the technical history, and the art of photography; The artists, ideals, themes, and practice
2. A clear understanding of the history of photojournalism, Social documentation and propaganda, advertising, fashion, and celebrities; Authorship, copyright, and truthfulness
3. An understanding of the world history of the art of photography and its aesthetics and of “Reading pictures”
4. An ability to communicate, visually, with the written word and orally as related to the photographic subjects, historical and current, creative personalities
5. A clear understanding of, and its effect, on the cultural and social significance as related to the world history of photographic imagery
Placement score into READ 1300 or completion of READ 0200 or ESOL 0052.