History of Graphic Design (GRPH 1540)
This course explores graphic design through the ages, identifying important design elements, movements, innovators and applications. You will learn about the the impact of graphic design on life and culture from posters to publishing to packaging from the industrial to the digital revolution. You will be able to identify the impact of graphic design through the use of posters, publishing and packaging.
1. Industrial Revolution: The impact of industrial technology on visual communications
2. The Modernist Era: Graphic Design in the first half of the 20th century
3. The Age of Information: Graphic Design in the global village
1. Identify ways the role of graphic design plays as part of material culture
2. Identify the historic, economic, and professional contexts of graphic design
3. Identify the influences of technology, capitalism, and aesthetics of graphic design
4. Identify the development of the profession of graphic design
Placement score into READ 1300 or completion of READ 0200 or ESOL 0052.