Career Planning and Professional Practices (GRPH 2540)
This course prepares you for a smooth transition into the design industry, covering such topics as identifying markets, customizing interview portfolios, networking, writing professional correspondence, creating résumés and interviewing. You will learn about industry standards practices and ethical guidelines, and you will design and produce individualized professional-identity systems, Web sites, and marketing materials. You will learn the necessary tools and skills to be in charge of a job search and lifelong planning. You will gain job-seeking skills through personal workbooks, informational interviews, readings, discussions, presentations and lectures. This course will give you an opportunity to prepare professional materials and skills in a supportive, cooperative and enthusiastic learning environment.
1. Individualized self-promotion professional identity system, web sites, and marketing materials for current professional standards
2. Professional job hunting skills, job search, and tools required by industry standards, practices, and ethical guidelines
3. Portfolio and job search with emphasis on marketing and time management, networking, resume and cover letters, and interviewing
4. Professional communication and organizational skills and activities stressing visual presentation, consensus, and cooperation
1. Create a professional a self-promotion and portfolio package for a cohesive professional job hunter with a set of tools and skills that will enable you to be in charge of your job search
2. Develop professional communication and organizational skills with activities stressing visual presentation, consensus and cooperation that will highlight your professional ability to communicate, visually, orally, and written
3. Demonstrate a that you can plan, organize, and execute a creative portfolio and job search with an emphasis on personal marketing, research and time management
4. Demonstrate a professional ability to identify markets, selecting interview opportunities and target with the all the correct, and required, portfolio components, networking, writing a résumé and cover letters, and interviewing skills
GRPH 2130 or WEBI 2023 or instructor approval.