Reading 1 (READ 0100)
In this course, you will learn the academic and lifelong reading strategies needed for success in technical programs and many associate of arts majors. You will learn how to master technical and academic vocabulary; learn how to understand and remember more of what you read; and learn how to follow complex directions and use reference manuals. This class includes a computer lab. Must be taken Pass/No Credit.
1. Independent reading for academic purposes
2. Critical thinking and problem-solving
3. Academic vocabulary development
4. Reading and learning skills for college, print and online
1. Select reading strategies appropriate for the assigned or chosen purpose and text structure, using college level texts and materials. Includes active reading methods and following complex directions
2. Assess the effectiveness of comprehension/rate strategies and adjust these as necessary
3. Respond to a variety of text in critical, creative, and affective ways
4. Connect readings to personal experience and prior knowledge and articulate those connections
5. Draw from a repertoire of strategies when encountering new vocabulary
6. Use resources to augment comprehension
Placement score into READ 0100 or completion of ESOL 0042 and teacher recommendation into READ 0100.
ESOL 0043 or exemption.