Spanish for Healthcare Providers (SPAN 1400)
This course provides the basic tools to help healthcare providers communicate with Spanish-speaking patients in a medical setting. You will acquire medical terminology, phrases, and questions to conduct patient interviews, physical exams and take medical history. You will also learn important cultural aspects of the Hispanic community to understand their view of health care.
1. Establishing an initial contact with the patient through basic greetings
2. Getting patient information (background and history)
3. Entering patient’s symptoms in the chart
4. Giving instructions and orders in health related context
5. Describing sickness, pain, and vaccinations using medical terminology
1. Greet patients in a culturally appropriate way
2. Collect background information on patient
3. Collect background information on patient
4. Control medical vocabulary necessary to explain a patient’s chart
5. Understand the patient’s descriptions of symptoms and give instructions
SPAN 1100 or equivalent or SPAN 1300.