Introduction to Creative Nonfiction Writing (ENCW 2212)
This course is an introduction to the varied genre of creative nonfiction: memoir, personal essay, cultural commentary, nature writing, political satire, etc. You will practice creative self-expression and develop voice, style, and audience awareness. You will also learn the craft of effective writing by observing how published writers use various themes, styles and methods of story development.
1. Creative nonfiction writing process and practice
2. Creative nonfiction writing activities, exercises, assignments
3. Creative nonfiction techniques and elements
4. Creative nonfiction forms
5. Reading & analyzing short works of creative nonfiction
6. Creative nonfiction’s function in the world and society
1. Write creative nonfiction with more skill, effectiveness, creativity, and social awareness
2. Engage in a writing process through a series of steps: generating, drafting, revising, etc.
3. Understand and use a range of creative nonfiction writing techniques and elements (e.g. description, voice, point of view, character development, plot development)
4. Understand and use a range of creative nonfiction writing forms (e.g. memoir, literary journalism)
5. Work collaboratively with other writers and contribute to a creative community, particularly through full class workshops and/or small group peer review
6. Read and analyze works of creative nonfiction with more critical literacy skill, understanding their craft as well as their historical and social contexts (e.g. race, gender, class)
ENGL 1110 or ENGA 1110.